The holidays should be about spending time with family and friends, but this year I found myself getting caught up in last minute work deadlines, shopping insanity and other distractions to the point where the season was slipping by. Realizing I was missing the things in life that truly matter, I thought I would take a break, crank up the holiday music and bake organic gingerbread cookies (recipe follows) with my kids. As we sat down to decorate we noticed a family of deer, or reindeer as we're calling them, eating in our back yard. For that moment, everything was perfect. Wishing you and yours many special memories and warm moments this holiday season.
Organic Gingerbread Boys
2 C Organic All Purpose Flour
1 C Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 Tsp Baking Soda
¾ Tsp Organic Ginger (Ground)
¾ Tsp Organic Cinnamon
½ Tsp Organic Nutmeg
1 Stick Organic Butter
¼ C Organic Vegetable Shortening
¾ C Organic Light Brown Sugar
½ C Unsulfured Molasses
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
2. Add egg, molasses and spices and mix.
3. Combine the flours and baking soda then gradually add to the mix. You can add a little additional flour to stiffen up the dough, if necessary.
4. Divide into a few parts, wrap tightly and refrigerate for a few hours or put in the freezer for about 20 minutes if you have anxious kids! You can also make the dough ahead of time. It’s also fun to play with the spices and find a combination that you like the best. Many people use allspice and clove, too.
Preheat Oven to 325º.
1. Put the first piece of dough on a piece of parchment sprinkled with flour then dust with flour and roll it out to about 1/8” – 1/4” thick.
2. Cut into your favorite gingerbread boy or girl shape! Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment and bake for 5-7 minutes. Do not over bake.
3. Cool on the sheet a little before you move them to a wire rack. Cool completely before decorating.
4. Decorate and enjoy! Most people use royal icing to decorate, but I prefer using buttercream frosting.